Hillary Cresswell Photos
Click on any photo to view full size image..
Photo taken on a voyage from St. John's to St. Anthony (From Mrs. Blackburn, circa 1922). Photo courtesy of Hilary Cresswell.
Machine Shop & Grenfell Mission Store. Photo courtesy of Hilary Cresswell.
View of St. Anthony Harbour. Photo courtesy of Hilary Cresswell.
Post Card (front). Courtesy of Hilary Cresswell.
Post Card (back). Courtesy of Hilary Cresswell.
Students working at the foundation of the new orphanage. Photo courtesy of Hilary Cresswell.
Lower end of harbour. Photo courtesy of Hilary Cresswell.
The Hospital & Loom Room. Photo courtesy of Hilary Cresswell.
'Amos Pegs' barkentine (sailing vessel) from New York with 600 tons of coal being towed out of St. Anthony by the 'Strathcona'. Photo courtesy of Hilary Cresswell.
The Hospital (Grenfell Mission) St. Anthony. Photo courtesy of Hilary Cresswell.
St. Anthony Harbour with the 'Strathcona' (from Mrs. Blackburn, circa 1920). Photo courtesy of Hilary Cresswell.
Ethel (Benson) Cramm Photos (1920's)
The following 6 photos were taken by a teacher named Ethel (Benson) Cramm back in the early 1920’s while she was teaching in St. Anthony.
Click on any photo to view full size image..
(3) Front of Old Grenfell School
(4) Front of Old Grenfell School
(5) Back of Old Grenfell School
(6) Back of Old Grenfell School
This is a picture taken in 1955 of the shop owned and operated by Alwyn Sansford's parents, (Ernest and Mae Sansford), as a General Store. The building was originally the St.Anthony Post Office, which was hauled across the road. In later years, Alwyn's father widened and lengthened the shop. This store was in operation from the late 1940's to the early 1970's - when it was torn down. The people in the photo are Olive Penney, Mae Sansford, Ernest Sansford Laura Watton and Doris Sansford.. Photo courtesy of Alwyn Sansford (former resident of St. Anthony) Bridgewater, Nova Scotia..
This is one of the early shipments of Skidoos for C. & G. Enterprises in St.Anthony. Snowmobiles are being unloaded from a DC3 Aircraft on the St.Anthony harbour ice (1961).. Photo courtesy of Alwyn Sansford (former resident of St. Anthony) Bridgewater, Nova Scotia..
Grenfell Mission Hospital (July 1959) - Photo courtesy of Larry Davis
A typical day on "Main Street" (September 1961).. Photo courtesy of Tony Devine
Grenfell Memorial Co-Operative Society Ltd building in St. Anthony - July 1959. (Larry Davis)
The Capitol theater in St. Anthony. They showed movies, like the "3 Stooges", William Boyd as Hopalong Cassidy (He was a super hero at the time), Johnny Mack Brown & Gene Autry. The theatre was located directly across the street from the provincial court house. The property where it stood, along with Sansford's General Store was at the forefront of the Sansford properties (Ernest Sansford was owner of both the General Store & the Capitol Theatre) - that property now belongs to a Mr. Ebsary. (July 1959 - Photo by Larry Davis)
Original Bank of Nova Scotia. St. Anthony's first official bank establishment, the building was located about at the entrance to the street that now leads to Harriott Curtis Collegiate. At the time, it was directly across the street from The Saint Anthony Inn - July 1959 - Photo by Larry Davis.
The St. Anthony Inn was managed by a Mr. John Newell (Gary's granddad). July 1959 - Courtesy Larry Davis.
Charles S. Curtis Memorial Hospital - September 1967. Photo by Larry Hyde.
Historical Photos by Wats Tucker
[Click images to view full size photos]
A photo of Sir Wilfred on probably his last visit to St. Anthony. He is at the dock and bidding a fond farewell to Wats Tucker's father. This picture was taken from the albums of Horace McNeil, long time mission employee. (The original photograph is a part of Curtis McNeill's collection.)
Anglican Church in St. Anthony 1951
Anglican Rectory in St Anthony 1951
Brown Cottage & Orphanage in St. Anthony 1951
IGA Drydock St. Anthony 1951
IGA Hospital & Heating Plant [St. Anthony] - Art Diamond returned to St. Anthony in May, 1952 - and was assistant to the engineer who supervised construction of the Heating Plant. Art's first job on the plant was to set the sole plates for the steel structure of the building. Art also helped operate the plant and had 5 great years in St. Anthony.
Main Street of St. Anthony (Mesher's House and Entrance To Tuckers Lane in 1951)
Moores Road in St. Anthony (1951)
Scene In St. Anthony Harbour (1951)
Coastal Boat (Ranger) Arrives in St. Anthony Harbour (1951)