Home > Business
[Click image to view larger photo]
Don's Barbershop is a beloved St. Anthony institution - which has been operating for 44 years!!.. Don Loder established the business on July, 15, 1966. The above photo was taken around Christmas time, last year..
The building was originally part of the St. Anthony American military base compound (1950'S - 60'S).. The structure was subsequently transferred to the construction site of the Harriot Curtis Collegiate high school - and was used as the project manager's office during the high school's construction phase (1964-65)..
Don purchased the building from the IGA (International Grenfell Association) - and had the building towed by tractor along West Street (which was gravel) to it's present site in 1966.
At that time, Don's business was surrounded by cow pastures (across the street - and between his building & the Town Office).. Starting in 1989, Don held the position of deputy mayor in St. Anthony for several years..
Don insists on walking (1 mile to work) to maintain his health - and rarely accepts a ride home - even if the weather is harsh.
His favourite pastime is reading many books and magazines.. Don also gets frequent comments surrounding his huge collection of 2,402 commemorative pins, which are all displayed on the barbershop wall..
Locally made snowshoes and history books can be purchased on site.
A true cultural icon - Don's barbershop is a great place to meet friends - discuss politics, local events & history.. (and also to get a perfect haircut)..
We hope Don will never retire..
[Click images to view larger photos]
Dons Barber Shop
TUE, WED, THU, SAT: 9am - 5:30pm
FRI: 9am - 9pm
Wikipedia Article - Learn more about "Barbers"